The function of my pots shows my experience in Canada and the surface decoration reflects my cultural heritage. I would like to bring my culture closer to people who have different traditions. My intent is that my pieces comfort and calm people just like the old Korean palaces calm and comfort me.
Do-Hee Sung grew up in Korea and lived in Seoul for 25 years, but never understood the value of Korean Culture until she emigrated. Living in Canada has helped her realize the truth of who she is and the value of her Korea roots.
In her current work, she is specializing in functional ware with traditional Asian motifs. Her ideal kitchen has only hand crafted pots and she can imagine serving guests with hand crafted dishes and mugs and making them feel special by using a pot that is the only one in the world.
Do-Hee strives to share her experience of two different cultures with users and bring her personal story into their kitchens.
The artist is a graduate of the Alberta College of Art and Design (ACAD) with a Ceramics Major (2005). Her work is in the Alberta Foundation for the Arts Collection and the Canada Council Art Bank. It has recently been featured in several projects in Korea, including the Unity and Diversity exhibition of Canadian fine craft at the Cheongju International Craft Biennale, and a 4 person exhibition of Calgary potters which organized at the Tong-In Gallery in Seoul.
Education - 2005, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, AB, Ceramics Major (B.F.A with distinction)
Scholarships (Grant) and Awards
2010 - Visual Arts Project Grant, Alberta Foundation for the Arts
2009 - Travel Grant, Alberta Craft Council
2008 - “26th Gold Coast International Ceramic Art Award”, Gold Coast Art Centre
2006 - Award of Achievement, Alberta Craft Council
- Visual Arts Project Grant, Alberta Foundation for the Arts
- Niche Student Award Winner, Niche Magazine (Rosen Group)
2005 - One of Kind Scholarship for Craft, Alberta College of Art and Design
- Ceramics Special Major Projects Award, Alberta College of Art and Design
2004 - Art Source Ceramic Award, Alberta College of Art and Design
- Korea Travel Project Scholarship, Alberta College of Art and Design
2002-2003 - Jason Lang Scholarship, Alberta Learning
2013 - “Medalta International Cup Show” Yuill Family Gallery, Medicine Hat, AB
-“May Cup”, Willock & Sax Gallery, Banff, AB
- “Workhouse Drink This! International Cup Show”, Workhouse Art Center, Lorton, Virginia, USA
2011 - “The Makings 2”, Willock & Sax Gallery, Banff, AB
2010 - “The Makings”, Willock & Sax Gallery, Banff, AB
- “The Teapot”, Tong In Gallery, Seoul, Korea
- “Clay 2010”, Discovery Gallery, Edmonton, AB
- “Cheongju Selection” Traveling Exhibition Program, the southeast Alberta region
2009 - “Common Ground”, Tong In Gallery, Seoul, Korea
- The Canadian National Exhibition “Unity and Diversity” Cheongju International Craft Biennale, Cheongju, Korea
- “Canadian Boutique” Cheongju International Craft Biennale, Cheongju, Korea
2008 - “26th Gold Coast International Ceramic Art Award” Gold Coast City Art Gallery, Queensland, Australia
- “Coming up Next” Discovery Gallery, Edmonton, AB
2007 – “Affinity: Alberta Ceramics” in conjunction with the invisible symposium The Coda Conference and Craft 2007, Illingworth Kerr Gallery, Calgary, AB (invitational).
-“Alberta Craft Award Show” Discovery Gallery, Edmonton, AB
2006 - “International Cup”, International Bray, Allegra Print and Imaging, Helena, Montana (Juried)
-“The Teapot: Form and Function” conjunction with NCECA, Skutt Warehouse, Portland, Oregon (Juried)
-“Niche Award Show” Pennsylvania Convention Centre, Philadelphia
-“Beauteous” York Quay Centre, Harbourfront Centre, Toronto, ON (Juried)
-“The Faculty Collects” conjunction with a Thousand Miles Apart, Main Mall, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, AB (Group)
2005 - “2005 Clay Dynamics” Medicine Hat Public Library, Medicine Hat, AB (Group)
-“Convergence” Art Central, Calgary, AB (Group)
- “Volume” Gallery 371, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, AB (Group)
- “Blending” Marion Nicoll Gallery, Calgary, AB (Solo)
- “A Month of Decoration and Ornamentation” Main Mall, Alberta College of Art and Design, Calgary, AB (Group)
- “Thousand Miles Apart” University of Regina, Regina, SK (Group)
2004 - “Thousand Miles Apart” Reed Deer College, Red Deer, AB (Group)
2010 Alberta Foundation for the Arts
2008 Canada Council Art Bank
2011 Kimhea Clayarch Museum International Artist-in- Residence
2010 Medalta Artist-in-Residence
2005 Medalta Artist-in-Residence
500 Teapots Volume 2, ed Linda Kopp, Photographs, Lark Books, New York, 2013, 134.
Newsweek Korea ed. Junghyun Seo, “Korean Canadian Potter Do Hee Sung” with Photograph, Joongangilbosa, Seoul, Nov 11 2009, 64, 65.
Korean Monthly Ceramics ed. Yoonhee Jang. “Common Ground” with Photographs, Monthly Ceramics, Seoul, November 2009, 60, 61.
500 Pitchers, ed. Suzanne J.E. Tourtillott, Photographs, Lark Books, New York, 2006, 7, 243, 267, 281.
Niche Magazine, Winner Announcement with Photograph, Maryland, Spring 2006, 95.
Alberta Craft Council, Winner Announcement with Photograph, Alberta, Winter 2007, 4.